The Ten Most Mispronounced Words of 2017
- Bokeh (boh-keh) – The out of focus areas in a photo
- Coulrophobia (cool-ruh-foh-bee-ah) – Fear of clowns
- Dotard (doh-terd) – An elderly person considered weak or fragile (used by North Korea’s Kim Jung Un to describe President Trump)
- Fibromyalgia (fai-broh-mai-ahl-jyah) – A musculoskeletal illness that causes severe pain across the body
- Gal Gadot (gal gah-dott) – The actress who starred as "Wonder Woman."
- Namibia ( nah-mih-bee-ah) - A a southwest African nation (President Trump called it Nambia during a UN speech)
- Nuclear (noo-klee-ar) – Most commonly misprounounced "noo-kyoo-lar"
- Puerto Rico (pwehr-toh ree-coh)
- Pyongyang (pyong-yang) – The capital of North Korea.
- Weinstein (wine-stine) – Linguistics at Babel say it should be pronounced “stine” not “steen” although the sexually assaulting movie mogul goes with the latter.
From Dotard to Weinstein: The 10 mispronounced words of 2017. https://t.co/6q3m5LjDIi— USA TODAY (@USATODAY) December 21, 2017